Saughall Primitive Methodist chapel
Church Road, Great Saughall CH1 6EN
Saughall Primitive Methodist chapel in the Chester circuit was opened on January 15th 1832. The event is described by William Holt in the Primitive Methodist magazine.
Opening services were taken by Brothers Wedgwood & Bateman.
The chapel, which measured 19′ 6″ (w) x 24′(l) x 12′ (h) was (as so many chapels were described) “an ornament to the village” and early congregations were good.
In 1864 a new chapel was opened
On the 1872 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map, Saughall Primitive Methodist chapel is marked off Church Road, complete with grave yard. On the 1961 map it is marked Ebenezer Methodist church.
The 1864 chapel was demolished in 2012 and rebuilt in 2013. It is now a modern comfortable building suitable for Worship and all church activities as well as being available for use by Community groups. The society is still active in 2017.
For further details of the advent of Primitive Methodism in the Chester and Saughall areas, please see the attached article which records a talk that was to have been given by Tim Macquiban to the Saughall History Society in March 2020.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1832 page 271