The return from Runcorn Primitive Methodist chapel in the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship was completed by William Ball the minister of Queen Street, Runcorn. He tells us that the chapel was opened in 1838 and accommodated 500. Average attendance was given as 100 each Sunday morning, 150 each Sunday afternoon and 200 each Sunday evening.
Where was this chapel and what happened to it?
A little bit of the answer comes in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1893, which tells us that the Runcorn society, worshipping in a chapel in Greenway Road, has just laid the foundation stones for a new Sunday school. The 1875 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel just north of the end of Albert Street, on the opposite side of the road. On later maps there is a Sunday school building.
The chapel and Sunday school disappear between 1971 and 1974 in association with major road building developments.
Primitive Methodist magazine January 1893 page 60