Halifax; Ebenezer PM Church, St.James Road

The first chapel on this site was built in 1822.

Halifax; Ebenezer PM Church, St.James Road
Halifax; Ebenezer PM Church, St.James Road
Halifax; Ebenezer PM Church, St.James Road
Halifax; Ebenezer PM Church, St.James Road
Halifax; Ebenezer PM Church, St.James Road
Halifax; Ebenezer PM Church, St.James Road
Halifax; Ebenezer PM Church, St.James Road

This large stone built chapel was a centenary chapel built in 1922. It is an imposing building in an elevated position. It was built by John William Standeven in memory of his mother Charlotte. Inscribed stones on the outside of the building were laid by John Standeven’s wife, his son Jack, his daughters Edith and Anne and his grandson John.

In July 2013 Roy Sykes (former Ebenezer member/member of management group of New Ebenezer) says:-

‘We ceased to worship in January 2011 and the circuit immediately became the managing trustees and allowed a small management group to develop the building for use as a community/Christian facility in the town centre. The conversion work has just begun and the building is currently being used by the Food and Drop-in-Centre (providing food and other items to the disadvantaged of Calderdale). Also in the building  an independent Church is doing amazing work with young people, our local college is providing courses for the unemployed and offices are provided for 3 Christian youth workers’.

Photos taken June 2013

OS Map Ref:

Comments about this page

  • The 1883 Primitive Methodist magazine (page 571) tells us they were starting work on a new set of school premises at Ebenezer, Halifax, including ” lecture room, library, classrooms, assembly room and other convenient accommodation.” It was expected to cost around £4,000 and the magazine editor congratulates them on their prudence, having raised £1,000 towards this over the previous seven years.

    By Christopher Hill (25/04/2020)
  • Old Ordnance Survey maps confirm that there was a previous chapel – also called Ebenezer – on the same site in 1852.

    By Christopher Hill (12/11/2018)
  • The Primitive Methodist magazine for September 1858 (page 562) contains a paragraph by John Jobling about the enlargement of the Sunday School at “Halifax” chapel and alterations to the chapel itself.

    They enlarged the school-room and added vestries (cost £224) which was paid from the Sabbath school fund.  In addition they added an organ; altered the pulpit and singers’ pew (cost £69/11/10). 

    It could be a previous chapel on the Ebenezer site, but perhaps was elsewhere.

    By Christopher Hill (17/09/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *