Leicester Clipstone Street Primitive Methodist chapel, later Highfields

Photo:Leicester Clipstone Street later Highfields Primitive Methodist chapel

Leicester Clipstone Street later Highfields Primitive Methodist chapel

Primitive Methodist Conference Handbook 1907

Photo:Clipstone Primitive Methodist chapel, with the sign marking the former Clipstone street

Clipstone Primitive Methodist chapel, with the sign marking the former Clipstone street

Christopher Hill February 2016

Photo:Clipstone Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Clipstone Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Christopher Hill February 2016

location of the former Clipstone Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Melbourne Rd, Leicester LE2 0DR

By Christopher Hill

The former Clipstone Street Primitive Methodist chapel is still in use in 2016 as the New Testament Church of God.

The first Primitive Methodist sermon heard in Leicester was preached by John Benton in 1818.  Clipstone Street chapel was opened in 1884 and it was one of the venues for the 1907 Primitive Methodist Conference when it came to Leicester.  At that time it was known as Clipstone Street.  However, Clipstone Street as a road does not appear on a current street map; but the street name sign is still on the right hand side side wall. It overlooks a yard, the entrance to which is blocked by gates.  The whole area has been subject to considerable redevelopment and Clipstone Street as such has disappeared.

In time the chapel became known as Highfields chapel. It is on the current Melbourne Road. Some of the commemorative tablets on the outside of the chapel can be seen in the document below.


 

Downloads

Commemorative tablets at Clipstone Street
Commemorative tablets at Clipstone Street (144k)
Remaining readable commemorative tablets at the former Clipstone Street Primitive Methodist chapel, Leicester

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 11/02/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.