Northampton Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

There is an account by R Thompson in the 1856 Primitive Methodist magazine of the re-opening of Northampton Primitive Methodist chapel after the addition of side galleries, necessary because of the growth of the society. The society was allowed to do the work which cost £40 on condition they did not add to the debt; they had raised £30 by the time of the article. Donors included Raikes Currie, Esq., M.P. and the Mayor of Northampton.

Re-opening celebrations including a tea meeting started on May 11th, 1856. Preachers included Rev. J. Bywater, of London, Miss Wilson, of London, and R Thompson.

There is no indication in the article as to where the chapel was.  What happened to it?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine August 1856 p.499

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 31/03/2017.
Comments about this page

The original PM Chapel in Northampton was Horsemarket, opened in 1840 and pictured in Kendall vol.ii p.417. It was rebuilt again in 1872 and finally closed in 1942 and demolished.

By Tim Woolley
On 14/03/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.