Penyffordd, Flintshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Penyffordd, Flintshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Penyffordd, Flintshire' page
Photo:1872 Penyffordd Primitive Methodist chapel in 2003

1872 Penyffordd Primitive Methodist chapel in 2003

Keith Guyler 2003

three churches combined

By David Young

The Veterans' Souvenir booklet (1914) relates that men from Alltami and Buckley introduced Primitive Methodism into Penyffordd with open air meetings in the summer of 1852. The 1852 work also met in a pub, and the first chapel was built in 1855. 

The 1919 Primitive Methodist Magazine (page 845) contains an article by Rev. William Watson, which adds extra detail, saying there were open-air meetings in Penyffordd in the summer of 1852, and a small chapel was built that year but later abandoned because of a defective title. A new building was erected in 1855.

Kinnerton was missioned by Edward Bellis of the Penyffordd society, together with Mr Duckers of Chester. Services were held in a small cottage, till the chapel (q.v.) was opened in 1864.

The originally Primitive Methodist society in Penyffordd has amalgamated with another nearby Methodist work (not Primitive) and with the Presbyterians, whose chapel (shown in the middle photograph) has been demolished.

It is regrettable that the call to passers-by to "Prepare to meet thy God" has been painted out from over the door and windows seen in the upper (Methodist) photograph.

This page was added by David Young on 02/07/2014.
Comments about this page

The other Methodist society which merged with Penyffordd was at Penymynydd. It was United Methodist. Meetings were held in cottages prior to the building of the first chapel in 1824. This closed temporarily, and was re-opened after a complete rebuild in 1913. There are photographs at the County Record Office in Hawarden, but the chapel has now disappeared.

By David Young
On 04/11/2014

Two responses to David Young's commentsd about "Penyffordd Methodist Church" which became part of the Trinity Chapel, Penyffordd LEP some years ago.

1. The date stones on the buildings were painted white after discussions in the Church Council. As the LEP was a venture into the modern age, we wished to show that we remembered from whence we came but did not wish to emphasise our history. So, the stones were painted, rather than removed. Whether this is "regrettable" is a matter of opinion.

2. Photographs of the now demolished Penymynydd Methodist Chapel are held locally with copies deposited with the Property Division. There is a road named Mount Tabor Close situated close to the site of the Chapel.

By Eric Kelly
On 03/07/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.