Fishlake Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:former Fishlake Primitive Methodist chapel

former Fishlake Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1999

location of former Fishgate Primitive Methodist chapel

Oak Vale, Trundle Lane, Fishlake, Doncaster, South Yorkshire DN7 5LP

By Christopher Hill

Fishlake Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1858 and closed in the 1950s. At the time of Keith Guyler's photograph in 1999 and Google Street View in June 2009 it was in use as a funeral directors - BA Wright and Sons.  The tablet on the front gives the date of its rebuilding in 1880.

However, preceding the above chapel, the Religious Census return for 1851 refers to a Primitive Methodist chapel in Fishlake built in 1838.  It is noted as ex Wesleyan.  In the morning there was no service but a Sunday School for 30 children.  The afternoon service had 62 worshippers and the evening service 40.  It was signed by George Dale, Superintendant.

 

 

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 24/02/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.