Elsecar Stubbin Primitive Methodist chapel

Foundry Street, Elsecar S74 8EQ

Elsecar Stubbin Primitive Methodist chapel

The Primitive Methodist magazine of 1864 contains an account of the re-opening of Elsecar Stubbin Primitive Methodist chapel after it had been “greatly improved”.

The chapel was located on the north side of Foundry Street. It is labelled as a Primitive Methodist chapel on both 1892-3 and 1903-5 maps. In 1930-31 and 1956 maps the building is there but unlabelled. On Streetview in  2009 number 7 is located on the site, with much the same footprint. Does that incorporate any of the former chapel?

This is the account:

“Chapel Re-opening.—Stubbin, Elsecar. — Elsecar is a village in the Rotherham Circuit. The chapel here has been erected upwards of six years, and during that period it has only been properly cleaned and beautified once ; it has now, however, been greatly improved, and on March 6th it was re-opened, when three sermons were preached, morning and evening by Mr. J. Ratcliffe, of Doncaster, and in the afternoon by the writer. A good influence prevailed, and many felt it to be a Bethel to their souls. On the Lord’s-day following two sermons were preached by Mr. W. Solomon, of Elsecar.

We would express our gratitude to the members who have sacrificed pleasure for the good of the cause by ” Christmas singing.” For four years they have thus employed their ” merry Christmas.” The first year they purchased a good clock ; the second, they bought blinds for the windows, and went to the expense of having a singers’ pew ; the third, books for school ; the fourth, bass for chapel ; and the over plus, £1 16s. 6d., they have given towards the alteration of the chapel. We also gratefully acknowledge donations from kind friends, which, with the collections, amount to £12 13s. 3½d. E. D. Solomon.”


Primitive Methodist magazine 1864 page 369

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.