Etton Primitive Methodist chapel

Main Street Etton

Etton Primitive Methodist chapel

The opening of Etton Primitive Methodist chapel in the Driffield Circuit is described by John Wright in an article in the February 1846.  Ordnance Survey maps of 1890 and 1910 show a Prim chapel attached to the western end of the Manor House on Main Street.  On Street View it is hard to determine whether any element of it remains.

This is the account:

“Etton in the Driffield Circuit.—The labours of the Primitive Methodist ministers at Etton had long been disadvantaged for want of a suitable place of worship. Divine Providence, however, after much prayer on the subject, supplied us with an eligible plot of freehold land last summer ; and it was purchased for the sum of £18. A number of trustees was obtained; the size of the chapel was described, plans were drawn, specifications prepared, and the cost was calculated ; and the requirements of the Connexion having been complied with, we prepared for building.

Twenty circulars were issued to the brick layers and joiners in the neighbourhood, specifying, among other things, the time for receiving their estimates. Thirteen of these were tendered, the two lowest being accepted ; and then to work, we went in good earnest.

In the presence of a large number of spectators and friends, the foundation-stone was laid, on August 6th, 1845, by Mr. Thomas Hornsea, from Newbald ; and an appropriate sermon was delivered by J. Wright. Afterwards a public tea-meeting was held in a barn, belonging to Mr. Haram, which was tastefully fitted up by the friends.

Tea being over, Mr. T. Hornsea was called to preside at an after meeting, and several of the trustees and friends delivered deeply interesting speeches on the advantages of religion, and the necessity of places of public worship. The trust- funds received nearly all the profits of the tea-meeting, as Miss Shaw and Mrs. Hornsea each supplied a tray gratis, while Mrs. Witty nearly did the same as either.

On the 19th, 22nd, 26th, and 27th of October, 1845, the opening sermons were preached by Messrs. J. Harvey, G. Tindall, and J. Wright ; the congregations were large, the services powerful, and the collections excellent.

The edifice is neat, is 25 feet 6 inches, by 18 feet 1 inch within, and 14 feet from the floor to the ceiling ; it is covered with good tiles, well lighted, and properly ventilated, and will seat sixty persons in the elevated pews, and fifty on the free sittings. The sixty sittings are let, and a quarter’s rent is received in advance. The entire cost was £123 11s. 1d. ; towards which there were raised £44 16s. 5¾d. ; namely, £7. 12s. 8d. at the foundation-stone laying and the tea-meeting; £30. 11s. 11½d. collected by friends; and £6 11s. 10¼d. at the opening services.

Also, the value of £6 10s. was given in various leadings, done by the kind farmers at Etton and several neighbouring places. The pulpit was supplied with a good Bible by Mr. J. Harrison of Driffield, and with a 12mo. hymn-book by another friend. The trustees beg to thank all the friends for the aid with which they have been favoured in raising the house to the glory of God.”

John Wright. Jan. 7, 1845.


Primitive Methodist magazine 1846 page 95

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.