Farnley Primitive Methodist chapel
Nutting Grove Terrace LS12 5BR
The 1868 Primitive Methodist magazine includes a synopsis of developments in the Leeds Second circuit including the opening of a new chapel in Farnley. Farnley was then a village some four miles west of Leeds and had been missioned over 40 years earlier.
Primitive Methodists often started to build new chapels without having the money to pay for them, but at Farnley, once they had bought the site for the new chapel, they decided to wait until not only had the;y paid for the land, but they had also raised £100 towards the cost of the chapel. It took them two years.
The chapel was opened some time in 1867 (probably – no date is given) by John Simpson and Mr Robert Parkinson of Halifax who had laid the foundation stone. The building cost the £800 of which they had raised £300. The report notes that with two or three exceptions the money was raised by the working people who made up the community.
Ordnance Survey maps from the late Nineteenth century show a chapel at the end of Nutting Grove where it joined what was then Cross Lane. On the 1921 map it is identified as Primitive Methodist. The building disappears from OS maps between 1955 and 1961-63. On Street View from 2008 there is modern housing in the area.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1868 page 109