Peterborough Primitive Methodist chapel

Boongate

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine for December 1852 contains an account by J Seager of the opening of Peterborough Primitive Methodist chapel.  Peterborough was missioned in 1834 by brother W. Kirby, sent by the Lynn circuit. In 1842, two dwelling houses were purchased, settled on the Connexion, and one of them fitted up for a chapel.

The new chapel is situate in Boongate, in the midst of a population of 1,600. The building is 33 feet 9 inches by 29 feet, and 19 feet from the floor to the ceiling; built of white brick, and covered with slate. It seated 200. The chapel will be kept dry by a check-damp. The total cost was £235: £ 95 was raised towards it.

The opening services took place August 26th, 1852, with sermons by the Rev. W. Jefferson, of Lincoln. On the following Monday, 220 persons sat down to tea in the large room, Cumbergate. In later meetings further sermons came from  Rev. W. Palmer, Mr. Squire and Rev. T. Barras, Baptist. Particular donations came from Mr. W. Vergetter and to Mr. Lee, our circuit-steward, for their donations. The golden donation systems was introduced for the first anniversary, with the hope that it will work well.

A note was added by C G Bail, Secretary, to acknowledge the gratitude of the trustees “for the persevering exertions of our superintendent, Mr. Seager, who, after collecting in the city from door to door, drew out plans and specifications, and superintended the whole undertaking.” 

But that's not the end of it: the chapel wasn't enough.  The Primitive Methodist magazine for March 1857 contains an account by William Freear of the re-opening of Peterborough Primitive Methodist chapel. A variety of improvements, costing £12 and including eight new pews, were necessary because the society had doubled during the preceding few months.

The re-opening was on December 25th 1856 and sermons then and in the following days were preached by Messrs Wright, Burlison, Edis, Valentine (of Bedword), Thompson (London), Adams (Independent), Rev Barrasss (Baptist), Rev WH Davies (Bible Christian, Yaxley).

They more than covered the cost of the improvements.


Reference

The Primitive Methodist magazine December 1852 pp.744-745

The Primitive Methodist magazine March 1857 p.157

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 09/01/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.