Ashwell Primitive Methodist chapel
West End, Ashwell SG7 5PH
The Primitive Methodist Magazine of 1862 contains an account by EW Matthews of the opening of Ashwell Primitive Methodist chapel in the Baldock Circuit.
“We are grateful to God, and feel much pleasure in informing yo and your numerous readers, that we purchased two freehold cottages and a large garden at Ashwell, on a part of which we have built a new chapel. It was opened October 6th and 13th, 1861, and the services in connection therewith were extended to the 17th, and 24th of November. The following persons officiated, viz., the writer, 0. G. Robson, Esq., of London ; Revs. E. Masterman, T. Griffith (Baptist), S. Perry (Independent), Mr. T. Tomer, (Baptist), and the Rev. R. F. Hilton.
The chapel is 29 feet by 24 feet 2 inches, and 16 feet high from the floor to the ceiling. It is built with bricks and covered with slate. There are two windows in each end. The floor is laid with red deal on oak slippers. The walls are stuccoed to imitate free-stone. There are four piers in front, and four on each side, projecting 4½ inches wide from the wall by 18 inches. It is well ventilated.
The total cost will be something more than £200, towards which we have raised by donations, tea meetings, and opening services about £47. This, with the proceeds of a bazaar, which is now in progress, it is presumed will amount to one-third of the entire outlay, as required by rule. The Lord has done great things for us, for which we are glad. The trustees are thankful to all who have helped in this laudable effort. May God bless them.”
The chapel has been converted into residential use.
Primitive Methodist magazine February 1862 page 113