Bromsgrove Primitive Methodist chapel

location of 1861 Hephzibar Primitive Methodist chapel

Birmingham Road B60 1AB

By Christopher Hill

On February 20th 1861, Joseph Wood, the Mayor, laid the foundation stone of Bromsgrove Primitive Methodist chapel.  The new chapel was to built on top of the Sunday schoolroom recently constructed. Speakers at the celebrations included Rev. R. Taylor; Rev. J. Ewence (Baptist); Rev. J. Bat (Wesleyan), G. W. Reynolds, Esq., of Northfield Manor, Rev. M. Nichols, of Worcester and  James Witheford.

A celebrated part of the associated tea meeting for 250 held in the Corn Exchange was a talk by Mr. S. Brownsword.  He described his imprisonment in Worcester Goal, for preaching the Gospel in a street in Stourbridge.

The chapel closed around 1980. It has been converted to housing but still carries its dates stone and name "Hephzibar Chapel".

There is a picture here.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine May 1861 pages 306-307

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 09/04/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.