Stourbridge Primitive Methodist chapel
Where was it?
The Primitive Methodist magazine of October 1857 contains an account by J Grieves of the opening of Stourbridge Primitive Methodist chapel in 1857. In 1851 Stourbridge had a population of 7,847.
Stourbridge was first missioned nearly 40 years before 1857 when Bros Brownsword and Reynolds were arrested for preaching in the open air and sent to Worcester prison. Nevertheless, a society was formed which continued unbroken, although never strong. At one time a room was fitted up at a cost of £30 but they could not afford the rent and the landlord took possession of all their things. They then rented a chapel in Duke Street, but after the owner’s death it was bought by a member of the Anglican church and the Primitive Methodists again became homeless.
The Primitive Methodist magazine for 1842 contains a brief account by T Batty of the re-opening of Stourbridge Primitive Methodist chapel after improvements. “STOURBRIDGE chapel has been enlarged about eighteen feet in length; and it was re-opened on Sunday and Monday, August 15 and 16, 1841; and the work of God is moving on in the society.” Where that fits in the description in the previous paragraph is not clear.
At a cost of £50 they bought a plot of land on Beauty Bank for a new chapel and the foundation stone was laid by Rowland Hill on April 13th 1857. Sermons were preached by J Grieves, J Hall, H Higginson and J Richards (Independent).
The new chapel was 40′ long, 30′ wide and 24′ high – high enough for a gallery. It had a singing gallery at one end, pews for 150 and more free sittings. There was room for a Sunday school and vestry to the rear. The overall cost was £350 of which they had made £115. The target was to reduce the debt to £200.
It was opened on August 2nd 1857 by S Antliff of Nottingham and W Pearson of Moor-lane Cottage. Other opening sermons were preached by Rowland Hill and J Richards.
In 1863 they reopened it on January 25th after increasing its capacity by adding a gallery and carrying out a number of improvements.
“Our chapel at this place has recently undergone various improvements, including the insertion of a gallery and new pulpit, palisading the front, and painting the building throughout, giving the house of God a more respectable and complete appearance, and furnishing accommodation for eighty additional hearers.
The re-opening services were held January 25th, and February 1st, 1863. On the former Sabbath, sermons were preached by the Rev. W. Evans, Mr. E. Johns (Wesleyan), and Mr. G. Lydiatt. Collections, £8 15s. On the latter Sabbath, by Mr. T. Lissimore, Mr. W. Morgan, and the writer. Collections, £8 15.
The outlay (embracing a new harmonium), is about £90, towards which sum we have raised by collections, donations, books, etc., about £50 ; and besides this, through the laudable efforts of the trustees, during the last five years, £100 have been secured and paid on behalf of the trust premises. We would tender our thanks to all who have assisted us; and to the Almighty, the Giver of all good, be praise, now and evermore. J. Quarmby.”
I cannot readily find its location and what happened to it. Can you help?
Primitive Methodist magazine March 1842 page 132.
Primitive Methodist magazine of October 1857 pp.621-622
Primitive Methodist magazine 1863 page 368