New Mills Primitive Methodist chapel

Opened despite a great flood

By Christopher Hill

New Mills Primitive Methodist chapel was opened on Sunday 13th July 1828. Preachers at the opening services were James Bourne and William Taylor. On the day of the opening a great flood on the day caused bridges to be swept away and several people coming a distance couldn't reach the venue.

On the Ordnance Survey map of 1880-86 a Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on Spring Bank, around Spring Mount. It may be this chapel, or more likely a later one.


The Primitive Methodist magazine 1829 page 246

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 06/09/2017.