The story of Salem Primitive Methodist chapel in Lings Row is outlined in the Christian Messenger of 1910.
“After Clay Cross was established, it appears that Ling’s Row was missioned by Mr. Enoch Banister, Mr. William Daft, and others. The Colliery Co. allowed them a room in which to hold their meetings. Mr. Ward who was connected with the Company, rendered great service in the Sunday school for many years. And we are glad to record the fact that his daughter still manifests great interest in the chapel. It was a great loss to the Society when Mr. Banister removed to Staveley, but he still rendered help by forwarding weekly contributions. The first church was erected in 1864. Here some splendid work was done and glorious meetings held. The building is now used for Sunday school work. We have recently overhauled it, improved its appearance, stuccoed the outside walls to preserve it, and put in a better system of heating it, costing altogether nearly £90, and the whole is paid.
A new church was erected in 1903 at a cost of £1,500, with a debt of about £550 which is annually reduced.”
The 1898 Ordnance Survey map shows Salem Primitive Methodist chapel on the eastern side of Chesterfield Road, just south of the branch railway into Alma pit. The 1914 map shows the chapel on the same site, but with a bigger footprint and an adjacent Sunday School. By the 1939 map, only the Sunday School remains. Street View shows housing on the site.
Christian Messenger 1910/249