Newton Primitive Methodist chapel first appears on Ordnance Survey maps between 1898 and 1914. Opposite the present chapel is a small building marked on both the 1898 and 1914 maps as a chapel, but by 1938 it is marked as “Hall”. Street View in 2009 and 2019 shows this small building boarded up and apparently unused. Was it a former chapel, replaced by the present larger church?
The 1918 Christina Messenger tells us that in Newton: “we have a vigorous Society wisely guided by saintly men. We owe much to Mr. Platts, Mr. S. Dunkley, and the Butler family. Mr. and Mrs. Walter Dunkley are members here, who, as Local Preachers take a large share of Circuit work, and then are not behind others in service to their own Church. At Newton the Cottage Prayer Meeting and Open-air Services are still held, and well sustained by a band of young people. No wonder this church recently gave three young men as Local Preachers to the Circuit.”
Christian Messenger 1918/138