Langley; Edward Street Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Langley; Edward Street Primitive Methodist Chapel' page
Photo:A cake made to celebrate the Diamond Anniversary of the church in 1956

A cake made to celebrate the Diamond Anniversary of the church in 1956

Englesea Brook Museum

1896-2013

The first Primitive Methodist society met in an old workshop in Edward Street, which was later described as 'a most unsuitable and inconvenient place'.  

This chapel was built in 1896, to accommodate 250, at a cost of about £600. It opened on November 15th.

In 1900, the chapel was in the Blackheath and Quinton Circuit, and Rev J. S. Stanwell, who lived in the Manse at Blackheath, was the minister.

In 1956, as part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations, an illuminated address was presented to Mrs P Taylor, 'as a token of esteem' for over 60 years loyal service. 

Circuits changed over the years and Edward Street moved into the Oldbury Circuit and ended its life in Birmingham (West) & Oldbury.

It closed in 2013.

This page was added by Jill Barber on 24/07/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.