Stourbridge Primitive Methodist chapel

Where was it?

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine of October 1857 contains an account by J Grieves of the opening of Stourbridge Primitive Methodist chapel in 1857. In 1851 Stourbridge had a population of 7,847.

Stourbridge was first missioned nearly 40 years before 1857 when Bros Brownsword  and Reynolds were arrested for preaching in the open air and sent to Worcester prison. Nevertheless, a society was formed which continued unbroken, although never strong.  At one time a room was fitted up at a cost of £30 but they could not afford the rent and the landlord took possession of all their things. They then rented a chapel in Duke Street, but after the owner's death it was bought by a member of the Anglican church and the Primitive Methodists again became homeless.

The Primitive Methodist magazine for 1842 contains a brief account by T Batty of the re-opening of Stourbridge Primitive Methodist chapel after improvements. "STOURBRIDGE chapel has been enlarged about eighteen feet in length; and it was re-opened on Sunday and Monday, August 15 and 16, 1841; and the work of God is moving on in the society."  Where that fits in the description in the previous paragraph is not clear.

At a cost of £50 they bought a plot of land on Beauty Bank for a new chapel and the foundation stone was laid by Rowland Hill on April 13th 1857. Sermons were preached by J Grieves, J Hall,  H Higginson and J Richards (Independent).

The new chapel was 40' long, 30' wide and 24' high - high enough for a gallery. It had a singing gallery at one end, pews for 150 and more free sittings.  There was room for a Sunday school and vestry to the rear.  The overall cost was £350 of which they had made £115.  The target was to reduce the debt to £200.

It was opened on August 2nd 1857 by S Antliff  of Nottingham and W Pearson of Moor-lane Cottage.  Other opening sermons were preached by Rowland Hill and J Richards.

I cannot readily find its location and what happened to it.  Can you help?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine March 1842 page 132.

Primitive Methodist magazine of October 1857 pp.621-622

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 14/01/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.