Coate Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Coate Primitive Methodist chapel

Coate Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Brinkworth and Swindon Centenary District Synod

Coate chapel

Coate, Swindon SN3 6AA

By Christopher Hill

Primitive Methodism appeared at Coate early in the century, since in 1828 a building occupied there by Joseph Smith was registered for worship by this denomination. 

The souvenir Official Handbook of the Brinkworth and Swindon Centenary District Synod held in 1910 records that:

For many years the Services were held in the cottages of Messrs. Webb and Gregory.  In 1888 the present building was erected.

Number of sittings: 82

Number of members: 1

Total cost: £117

Present debt: Nil

The building was closed many years ago but is still visible on Google street view from June 2012, looking unused but essentially sound.


Reference:
British History online: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66536 accessed August 2014

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 27/08/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.