Broadtown Primitive Methodist chapel
After missioning from Brinkworth, a chapel was built in Broadtown in 1827; there were 78 members by 1835 and 100 children were taught in the Sunday school. Because of increasing numbers a new chapel was erected in 1842 at a cost of £236.
That chapel also became too small. An article from the Devizes Gazetteer was reproduced in the Primitive Magazine to inform readers of its enlargement and re-opening. Because the society was growing they decided to enlarge capacity by adding a gallery (for the use of the Sunday school scholars and teachers) and doing a range of other improvements including adding a porch and lobby.
The chapel re-opened on 20th March 1859 with a tea meeting for 150 the following day. The speakers included J Fuller of Maidenhead, Revs West and Herridge, and Mr Fuller.
Even that was not enough. A third chapel was built in 1866 and it subsequently became the Sunday school. It opened on 13 December and was renovated in around 1900 but demolished in the mid-20th century.
Where was the chapel?
Primitive Methodist magazine June 1859 page 370