The first Methodist church in Chippenham was the Primitive Methodist church in the Causeway bought from the Quakers in 1832.
The 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship contains a report for the Primitive Methodist chapel in High Street, Chippenham completed by George Watts, the minister, of Victoria Cottage.. It reports the average attendance as 100 in the morning, a oddly precise 194 in the afternoon and 300 in the evening services. The chapel is noted as being built before 1800.
See Bramwell Hill’s account of the growth of Primitive Methodism in North Wiltshire which is taken from the Causeway Centenary Handbook.