Catshill Primitive Methodist chapel

location of Vine Cottage, formerly the 1850 Primitive Methodist meeting house.

Golden Cross Lane, Catshill B61 0LG

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine for April 1851 gives an account by J Huff of the opening in 1850 of Catshill Primitive Methodist chapel.

It had been started previously but left unfinished for want of funds; however, in 1850 a benevolent gentleman gave £10 to complete it.

Catshill Methodist church is still active and the church website gives further information.  It reports that "in 1831, the first Primitive Methodists met in a rented room in Barley Mow Lane in Catshill....From Barley Mow Lane the enthusiasts moved to Golden Cross Lane in 1851 when the first meeting house was opened in Vine Cottage, which still stands today just a few yards from the current building. It cost £95 7s 0d to acquire!"

The site gives further information about and pictures of the chapel built in 1866, a school room added n 1910 and the current church building of 1968.

Can anyone take some current pictures we could add to the site?


Reference

Primitive Methodist Magazine for April 1851 page 247

Catshill Methodist church website accessed August 24th 2016 

http://www.catshillmethodists.org.uk/history.htm

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 24/08/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.