Kimberley Primitive Methodist Chapel

Main Street, Kimberley, Nottingham NG16 2NG

The former Primitive Methodist chapel, in Main Street, Kimberley; taken 16.03.2024
G W Oxley
Kimberley Primitive Methodist Chapel

Main Street Primitive Methodist Chapel in Kimberley appears to have been built in three main phases.

  • The most recent is the single storey front extension. Whether this was added by the Methodists or a subsequent owner is uncertain.
  • The second phase probably dates from around 1900 and consists of the brick gable and its adjacent blocks. These were in the Gothic style and elaborate tracery can be perceived behind the double glazing in the large gable window.
  • A little of a third building can be seen behind. A critical question is whether this was the original Primitive Methodist chapel built in 1850 or a later replacement.

All we know is that the original 1850 chapel contained 200 free and 100 other sittings. This is consistent with 455 sittings in the enlarged building in 1940. The latter also had a school Hall and five other rooms. By 1970 the building had been closed as a Methodist place of worship. It is now in business use.

Sources

The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/438/1/21 Basford Union

John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson, Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940 930 Kimberley Circuit

Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns, 1970, photocopy Nottingham and Derby section at Nottinghamshire Record Office, 22.24 Kimberley Circuit

Site visit 16.03.2024

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.