Nottingham Mayfield Grove Primitive Methodist chapel
The Meadows area of Nottingham lies between the River Trent and the city centre. Mayfield Grove Primitive Methodist chapel was situated in the Meadows, on the corner of Mayfield Grove and Waterway Street.
The chapel was founded by the members of the Canaan Chapel in Broad Marsh who purchased the site in 1877 and opened a school room at a cost of £2,350. The 1879 Primitive Methodist magazine contains a note of the opening of the new Primitive Methodist lecture hall and school rooms. In the few months since they were completed over 100 adults and 160 children were associated with the cause.
The chapel was built in 1883 and cost £3,378. The 1882 Primitive Methodist magazine tells us about the ceremonies for the laying of the foundation stones for the new chapel in the Nottingham First station. Schoolrooms and a lecture hall already were on the site. The chapel would hold 800 people, and the cost was expected to be £2,678 – rather less than it turned out to be.
It closed in September, 1936 soon after Methodist Union and was demolished.
The site was later used for the Grove Cinema; it too was demolished about 1975. The whole area has been completely redeveloped and Mayfield Grove has disappeared. A small part of Waterway Street remains at NG2 1NL
Primitive Methodist magazine 1882 page 637
Primitive Methodist magazine 1879 page 122