Liverpool Jubilee Primitive Methodist chapel

Yates Street, Toxteth Park

By Christopher Hill

RB Howcroft describes the laying of the foundation stone of Liverpool Jubilee Primitive Methodist chapel in Yates Street, Toxteth Park.

Although it was a stormy day more than 1,000 supporters and children attended.  There was a procession from Brunswick Hall (Mill St) to the site and services were held there afterwards.

Rev J Garner laid the stone using a silver trowel given by the contractor, Mr Lewis. Speakers included A Boote and Mr Horsfall, the MP, gave £10

The planned chapel measured 50' x 39' and was expected to cost £1050. It seated 400.

The opening took place in August 1860. Preachers at the opening included W. Garner, P. Pugh, J. Macpherson, and B. B. Howcroft.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine June 1860 pages 361-362

Primitive Methodist magazine February 1861 pages 116-117

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 22/01/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.