James Macpherson, the minister, completed the return from the Primitive Methodist chapel in Haslingden Deardengate to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship. He reports that the chapel was erected in 1831 and accommodated 438 people of whom 150 were in free seats.
The chapel had a successful Sunday school with attendance of 123 scholars in both the morning and afternoon sessions. For adult worship there were services in the morning, afternoon and evening. Attendances were respectively 80, 151 and 137 worshippers.
The chapel preceded the later building in Grane Road