Tunstall Primitive Methodist, Jubilee Chapel, 1905

Photo:Tunstall Jubilee Primitive Methodist chapel

Tunstall Jubilee Primitive Methodist chapel

Englesea Brook picture and postcard collection

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Tunstall Primitive Methodist, Jubilee Chapel, 1905' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Tunstall Primitive Methodist, Jubilee Chapel, 1905' page
Photo:Englesea Brook Museum [ENBPM:2013.117]

Englesea Brook Museum [ENBPM:2013.117]

Photo:Tunstall Jubilee Primitive Methodist chapel

Tunstall Jubilee Primitive Methodist chapel

Englesea Brook picture and postcard collection

Photo:Tunstall Jubilee Primitive Methodist chapel

Tunstall Jubilee Primitive Methodist chapel

Englesea Brook picture and postcard collection

Photo:Tunstall, Jubilee Chapel

Tunstall, Jubilee Chapel

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1929; Englesea Brook Museum

Photo:interior of the Jubilee chapel, Tunstall

interior of the Jubilee chapel, Tunstall

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1929; Englesea Brook Museum

refurbished and reopened in 1905

By Jill Barber

Jubilee Chapel underwent a major renovation in 1905.  The interior seen in this postcard shows how far it had come from the simple meeting house built by Hugh Bourne in 1811.

Sacramental service and cabinet

On the occasion of the reopening on 23 March 1905, Councillor G Goodwin presented a 'Sacramental Service and Cabinet ... to the Leaders of the Jubilee Primitive Methodist Church ...  in memory of his father Thomas Goodwin and his father in law John Cope who had been local preacher over fifty years.' The minister was John T Horne.

The pottery communion cups laid out in front of the pulpit were some of the earliest to be used. Before that a chalice would have been used, but at this time there was new understanding about how diseases were transmitted  which led Methodist churches to abandon the single chalice for individual cups.

Communion flagon

Seen in the front of the pulpit is a flagon used for communion wine (non-alcoholic) with the inscription: 'Presented to the Primitive Methodist Jubilee Church, Tunstall, by Mrs Enock Shufflebotham in commemoration of the coming of age of her son Harry, Tunstall, January 12th 1886. Minister Revd J Ferguson FRAS.'

The cabinet and flagon can both be seen today at Englesea Brook Chapel and Museum.

For a wonderful picture of the interior of the Chapel about 1910, click here.

 

Downloads

1903_Tunstall.pdf
1903_Tunstall.pdf (62k)

This page was added by Jill Barber on 10/09/2014.
Comments about this page

This page was modified on 26 July 2017 to add a transcription of an article published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine 1903. The timing, just before the modification opened in 1905, was very much an encouragement and challenge for the congregation to develop the premises, reminding them of the tradition associated with previous chapels built at Tunstall.

By Geoff Dickinson
On 26/07/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.