Tunstall Jubilee Primitive Methodist Chapel, 1905
refurbished and reopened in 1905
Jubilee Chapel underwent a major renovation in 1905. The interior seen in this postcard shows how far it had come from the simple meeting house built by Hugh Bourne in 1811.
Sacramental service and cabinet
On the occasion of the reopening on 23 March 1905, Councillor G Goodwin presented a ‘Sacramental Service and Cabinet … to the Leaders of the Jubilee Primitive Methodist Church … in memory of his father Thomas Goodwin and his father in law John Cope who had been local preacher over fifty years.’ The minister was John T Horne.
The pottery communion cups laid out in front of the pulpit were some of the earliest to be used. Before that a chalice would have been used, but at this time there was new understanding about how diseases were transmitted which led Methodist churches to abandon the single chalice for individual cups.
Seen in the front of the pulpit is a flagon used for communion wine (non-alcoholic) with the inscription: ‘Presented to the Primitive Methodist Jubilee Church, Tunstall, by Mrs Enock Shufflebotham in commemoration of the coming of age of her son Harry, Tunstall, January 12th 1886. Minister Revd J Ferguson FRAS.’
The cabinet and flagon can both be seen today at Englesea Brook Chapel and Museum.
For a wonderful picture of the interior of the Chapel about 1910, click here.