Tunstall, the first Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Tunstall, the first Primitive Methodist Chapel' page

Englesea Brook Museum

Photo:first Tunstall Primitive Methodist chapel (1811) notice that the figures are different to the otherwise identical coloured picture

first Tunstall Primitive Methodist chapel (1811) notice that the figures are different to the otherwise identical coloured picture

Englesea Brook picture and postcard collection

Built 1811

This unusual photograph has just been donated to Englesea Brook Museum by a family whose ancestors were member of King Street Primitive Chapel, Talke Pitts.

It shows the first Primitive Methodist chapel, built by Hugh Bourne at Tunstall in 1811. Being a prudent man, he built it in the form of a row of houses. It had four doors, but no internal dividing walls, and only one entrance. This was so that, if the new movement failed to thrive, the chapel could be sold as houses.

Instead, the new chapel soon proved too small, and was rebuilt in 1859, opening in 1860 as the great 'cathedral' of Primitive Methodism - Jubilee Chapel, Tunstall.

The four founding fathers shown here are (clockwise from top left): Hugh Bourne, William Clowes, James Nixon and James Steele.

Some debate surrounds Tunstall's claim to be the first chapel, as Boylestone in Derbyshire can make a similar claim.  (See the article by Stella Mills, in Wesley Historical Society Journal, 2012). 

Notes

1. More information can be found in an article from the Christian Messenger. Notice that the figures in the postcard on this page are different to the otherwise identical coloured picture.

2. The 1834 Primitive Methodist  magazine (page 150) gives more information from T Morgan about the early days.  Because on "Sunday night every aisle and avenue was wedged with human beings", the chapel built by Hugh and James Bourne in 1811 was replaced 11 years later with a larger building and 11 years later had to be enlarged again. It then measured 45'(w) x 72'(l) with galleries on 4 sides.

It re-opened on 06/10/1833 & 07/10/1833 with services conducted by Sister E Allen, and Brothers Peart, Flesher and J Davenport. [added by CH]

This page was added by Jill Barber on 23/08/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.