Burnopfield Colliery Primitive Methodist chapel
Hobson, NE16 6EA
By 1859 Burnopfield Colliery Primitive Methodist people had become ” good working society” and built themselves a new chapel. Attendances at the opening on 10th July 1859 were so great they held additional services in the open air.
Speakers at the opening services were Rev MA Drummond, J Charlton, W Halliday and Thomas Parsons who wrote about the celebration s in the Primitive Methodist magazine.
The new chapel measured 30′ x 27′ and was 12’6″ high to the ceiling. The overall cost was £138 and encouragingly £90 had already been raised; many societies struggled to raise the third of the cost required by the Connexion rules. The cost was kept low because members hewed the stones and farmers transported them free of charge.
There is no Primitive Methodist chapel marked on the 1876 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey maps at Burnopfield Colliery but one does appear on the 1896 map; it is still there as Hobson Methodist church in 1970. This however is a later building which carries the date stone 1890; on Google Street View in 2015 it is used by Travis Perkins Builders Merchants.
Where was the 1859 chapel, and what happened to it?
Primitive Methodist magazine October 1859 pages 628-629