The 1878 Primitive Methodist magazine contains a note recording the laying of the foundation stones for a new Primitive Methodist chapel and schools at Darlington, in an excellent situation facing one of the principal roads of the town. The property was expected to cost £6,000 with at least half raised.
The 1879 Primitive Methodist magazine contains a note of the opening of a new Primitive Methodist chapel in Darlington. It tells us:
“Our church in Darlington has secured as complete and convenient a set of premises as can be found anywhere in the Connexion, comprehending (sic) chapel, school rooms, vestries and other accommodation. The cost has been a little over £6,000 and it is to be hoped that the Society will grow vigorous and strong in its new home.”
It tells us nothing more about where this church was and what happened to it. It was obviously significant; compare the £6,000 cost with a village chapel which might have cost £400
Primitive Methodist magazine 1878 page 571
Primitive Methodist magazine 1879 page 700