Chester le Street Primitive Methodist chapel
The laying of the foundation stone for Chester le Street Primitive Methodist chapel is reported by JA in the Primitive Methodist magazine of July 1860.
The ceremony took place on April 2nd 1860. The stone was laid by Thomas Gibson. Under the stone was an interesting collection of material, including the “Chester-le-street Liberal,” the “Northern Daily Express,” a handbill of the services, a circuit plan, a document with the names of the trustees, and the coins of the realm.
Speakers included Revs Joseph Armstrong, Waite, R Graham, John Lightfoot, W. Dent and J. Waite, together with Messrs. Gibson, Daglish, Branfoot, Hewison, Naisty, and Fairless. Mr M.Dodds (farmer, Murton Grange) took the chair for the after tea meeting. 200 stayed for tea.
It was an active society, including providing a library for Sunday school scholars and teachers.
Primitive Methodist magazine of July 1860 page 436