The 1885 Primitive Methodist magazine records the laying of the foundation stones for a replacement Primitive Methodist chapel in the “scattered colliery district of Copley Lane, near Barnard Castle”. The stone was laid by Sir JW Pease (Bart., MP). The new premises would cost £600 of which they had raised half.
The 1897 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel and adjacent Sunday School at the northern end of Chapel Terrace and on Street View, on the site of the Sunday school there is a building carrying a date tablet declaring itself to be a Primitive Methodist chapel of 1864. Where the later, larger chapel was is now a modern house
Primitive Methodist magazine 1885 page 573