Scackleton Primitive Methodist preaching room and chapel
The Old Chapel, Scackleton, YO62 4NB
The opening of a preaching room at Scackleton in North Yorkshire is described in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1863.
“Scackleton, Malton circuit.—At this village the Primitive Methodists have ministered for upwards of thirty-six years. During this period the services have been held in the farm house of Mr. Ward and his sons, and the ministers have been and still are kindly entertained by the family. But on account of a blessed increase in Society there has been lately much inconvenience for want of a more suitable place in which to conduct religious worship ; at length, however, having procured the consent of Mr. Ward to allow us the large room adjoining his house to be fitted up as a Primitive Methodist Chapel or Preaching Boom, our warm hearted friends, with Mr. Ward’s assistance, soon lifted the roof, and made a very commodious place of worship, with about fifty letable seats, besides twenty free sittings.
The opening services of the room commenced on Sunday, October 12th, 1862, when two powerful sermons were preached by Mr. E. Belt, of Lutton. On Tuesday, October 14th, about 150 persons partook of an excellent tea, the trays having been gratuitously furnished by the ladies and friends of the society. The public meeting was crowded to excess and many could not gain admission. The chair was ably occupied by Mr. G. Wales, and addresses were delivered by Messrs. G.Renely, J.Ward, and the writer. The cost of fitting up is about £30; towards which we have raised near £23. To all who hare in any way aided in this good work we render our thanks. J. Bootland.”
A primitive Methodist chapel is marked on Ordnance Survey maps released in 1891 and 1911. In 1979 the building footprint is there, but unlabelled. It is unlikely that this was Mr Ward’s house as it retains the distinctive appearance of a country chapel.
In 2001 you could have bought it for £240,000
Primitive Methodist magazine March 1863 page 298-299