Withernsea Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Alma Street Primitive Methodist chapel, Withernsea

Alma Street, Withernsea HU19 2AL

By Christopher Hill

Withernsea Primitive Methodist chapel in Alma Street was opened in 1858 and served until 1878. In 1878 a new chapel designed by W Freeman of Hull was opened in Hull Road. Before the Alma Street chapel the society met in what was originally a cart shed that later became a school. In the 1851 religious census the average attendance was recorded by Grice Jackson, the steward, as 14.

The Alma Street foundation stone ceremony on July 21st 1858 is described in the Primitive Methodist magazine. The stone was laid by Miss Emma Hodge, daughter of H Hodge of Hull, using an elegant silver trowel. Speakers at the ceremony and following tea-meeting included Rev T Bennett, Rev H Clark, both of Patrington, William Locking, P Jackson of Preston, Messrs Gibson and Haller of Hull and Mr Wetherill of Burlington.

Teas at the meeting were provided by Mrs Bennett (Patrington), Miss Ward (Withernsea), Miss Clark, Miss Hudson, Mr Clark, Mrs Longthorpe, Mrs Medley of Keyingham, Miss Andrews, Miss Beaulab, Mrs Fewst and others of Burstwick, Mrs Norrison and Miss Bilton of Roos, Mr Dixon (Elstrenwick) and Mrs Tuton of Frodingham.

Donors included Miss E Hodge, Mr & Mrs H Hodge and family, Mrs Norrison of Roos. The building contractor was Mr Pinder of Hull.

In 1989 the Alma Street chapel was used as a garage and the Hull Road chapel was still in use. There is a picture of Hull Road chapel on the Withernsea in pictures website.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine October 1858 p.624

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 29/04/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.