West Cowick Primitive Methodist chapel
High Street, West Cowick, GOOLE, DN14 9EB
West Cowick Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1866 and closed in 1981. The foundation stone was laid by J Eddell of Snaith on May 25th 1866. Preachers at the stone laying included Rev T Whittaker (Scotter), J Longbottom, and the Revs E Talbot and J Mules.
The chapel was opened on July 29th 1866. Opening preachers included Rev H Clark (Doncaster), W Wood (Goole), Rev GF Stephens, J Pearson (Independent), J Mules and J Longbottom. Thanks were due to a number of donors including Mr Killingbeck (for 10,000 bricks) J Eddel (for £5), Mrs Eddell (for a Bible) and “to her servant for a pulpit hymn book”; J Glew, C Wigglesworth and T Hardy gave donations and “gratuitous labour”
The new chapel cost £110 of which £56 had been raised in advance of the opening.
Keith Guyler’s photograph in 1999 shows it after it had been converted into a house. Google Street View in 2009 shows that it retains the stone tablet showing its date of opening.
It was located at: 650215
Primitive Methodist magazine December 1866 page 750