Norristhorpe (Ebenezer) PM Chapel, Yorkshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Norristhorpe (Ebenezer) PM Chapel, Yorkshire' page

The 'Rubbing Board Chapel'

As early as 1855 there were references in the minutes of the Dewsbury PM circuit to occasional services being held at 'Doghouse' or Norristhorpe, a village near Heckmondwike, on the A62 between Huddersfield and Leeds. Services were held regularly in a cottage at Balm Fields from September 1883 within the Heckmondwike (Batley Road) circuit. A 'tin' tabernacle' made of corrugated iron and therefore known locally as the 'Rubbing Board Chapel' was bought from a PM society in London and brought to Norristhorpe in 1887. In 1906 this was replaced on the same site by a stone built church which was known as 'Ebenezer'.

The church closed in 2004, at which time it was in the Birstall and Spen circuit. It has now been converted into a house.


Information from Dr Gordon Terry (2006). See also G Terry, 'The Rubbing Board Chapel at Norristhorpe', typescript (copy at Englesea Brook Museum). 

A teaplate from Norristhorpe PM Chapel is in the collection at Englesea Brook Museum  [ENBPM:1994.083]


This page was added by Jill Barber on 27/04/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.