Oakworth Lane Ends Primitive Methodist chapel

Denby Mount, Oakworth, Keighley BD22 7QE

Oakworth Lane End Primitive Methodist chapel

The opening of a second Primitive Methodist chapel at Lane Ends, Keighley, is included in the 1864 Primitive Methodist magazine.

Colin Dews identifies a former Primitive Methodist chapel at Lane End on the west side of Oakworth.  It is .marked on the 1892 Ordnance Survey map and  closed around 1940.  Street View form 2008 shows it in use as accommodation – Bankfield flats.

It retains its carved stone.

This is the account:

Chapel opening, Lake Ends, Keighley Circuit.—Lane Ends is a small village situated three miles west of Keighley. For thirty years our people have worshipped in a small, low, and badly ventilated chapel, and when crowded, which was generally the case, it was uncomfortable for the hearers, and very oppressive to the preacher. The original cost was £180, towards which £20 was raised. It was built in the barn style of architecture, but in those days was thought to be a goodly structure. However, many souls hare been saved within the walls, and the times of refreshing experienced there will long be remembered.  

A larger place being necessary, the people resolved to arise and build. Land was purchased, and a connexional deed was made and enrolled in chancery; and on December 25th, 1862, the foundation stone of a new chapel was laid by Edward Holden, Esq. ; a large concourse of people gathered to witness the interesting event.

The building progressed slowly, but without accident, to its completion ; and on December 25th, 1863, the first opening sermon was preached by the writer, at two o’clock in the afternoon, and the Rev. J. Brash, Wesleyan, preached in the evening. On Sabbath, December 27th, two sermons were preached by the Rev. T. Greenbury of Selby; on Sabbath, January- 3rd, 1864, W. Briggs, Esq., of Leeds, and the Rev. J. Lee, (Baptist), officiated; on January 10th, two sermons were preached by the Rev. J. Pritchard, of Tunstall ; and the closing sermon was delivered by the Rev. W. Sugden, (Wesleyan) of Ashton-under-Lyne. All the sermons were excellent, and well appreciated, the congregations large, and the collections liberal.

The chapel is built of stone, and is 12 by 13 yards within ; it is lofty and well ventilated, galleried in the front and on both sides, and has a spacious orchestra behind the pulpit. It has sixteen circular windows in the sides, and six in the front, none of which can be obstructed. It is lighted with gas from a chandelier of twelve burners, suspended from the centre of the ceiling, and lights the whole gallery ; there are ten gas lights below, and four in the orchestra. The chapel standing on an eminence, presents an imposing appearance, and commands a fine and extensive view of the valley below ; it is an ornament to the neighbourhood, and a credit to the connexion. It will accommodate about 450 hearers, and the sittings are nearly all let.

The entire cost including land, deeds, &c, is a little over £900. The opening collections amounted to the very handsome sum of £157 5s. 6d. We have already raised above £600 and have about £40 promised, which is in good hands and will be ready when called for. The proceeds of a tea meeting on Good Friday will be applied to the trust fund, and that will complete our beggings, and we expect will not leave more man £250 debt on the premises. All things considered, we think this is one of the best efforts of the kind ever known in the connexion.

Thanks are due to a large circle of contributors, whose names cannot be mentioned in the Magazine, but we may be permitted to name the following,—James Haggas and Sons, Esqrs., £50 ; Isaac Holden, Esq., £30, besides £10 to one of the opening collections ; Edward Holden, Esq., £25 ; Sugden Brothers, £25; Swann and Kell, £20; Butterfield Brothers, £10; Mr. Michael Smith, £20; Mr. B. Emmott. £10; and Mr. S. Murgatroyd, £10. While we accord our thanks to the friends who have so nobly aided us, our prayer to God is that this beautiful sanctuary may be the birth-place of hundreds of immortal souls. John Harvey.”


Primitive Methodist magazine 1864 page 309

Comments about this page

  • I have added a picture of Lane Ends Chapel from an article about Herbert Brown, a professional vocalist, published in the 1917 Primitive Methodist Magazine.

    By Geoff Dickinson (11/03/2024)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.