Queen Camel Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:exterior of former Queen Camel Primitive Methodist chapel

exterior of former Queen Camel Primitive Methodist chapel

Dave Scully March 2015

Photo:interior of former Queen Camel Primitive Methodist chapel

interior of former Queen Camel Primitive Methodist chapel

Dave Scully March 2015

Photo:interior of former Queen Camel Primitive Methodist chapel

interior of former Queen Camel Primitive Methodist chapel

Dave Scully March 2015

Photo:memorial stone at former Queen Camel Primitive Methodist chapel

memorial stone at former Queen Camel Primitive Methodist chapel

Dave Scully March 2015

Photo:note inside former Queen Camel Primitive Methodist chapel

note inside former Queen Camel Primitive Methodist chapel

Dave Scully March 2015

Queen Camel Primitive Methodist chapel

High Street, Queen Camel, Somerset BA22 7NE

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist chapel in Queen Camel, shown on Ordnance survey maps as a "Mission Room" was in the back yard of a house in High Street.  The house is now known as Chapel Cottage.  Access was possibly to the right of the current cottage.

How the chapel got there is described in  the on-line Victoria County History at the link below.  

Primitive Methodists had been holding evening preaching in the village in 1861 when a travelling preacher stayed at the Mildmay Arms.   The chapel itself was created in 1893 and had some limited success.  It was used as a billet and first aid post during the second world war and sold in 1947.

Dave Scully's research shows that it has since been adapted and is currently used as a store and workshop in the cottage's back garden. The front has been extended outwards by about 3 or 4 feet. The roof is made of Roman tiles.

 


Reference:

http://www.victoriacountyhistory.ac.uk/sites/default/files/work-in-progress/queen_camel_religious_history.pdf accessed 14th October 2014

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 14/10/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.