Frome Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:former chapel at Sun Street, Frome

former chapel at Sun Street, Frome

Keith Guyler 1991

Sun Street chapel, Frome

Sun Street, Frome BA11 3DA

By Christopher Hill

Originally opened in 1834, Sun Street chapel closed in 1982.  

There's an account by WT of its opening in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

Opening services took place on 14th and 19th of October 1834 when the preachers were Revs S Curwen and W Jones, together with Samuel West, Mr Foizey & Mr Moody. Services at opening took place simultaneously in the new chapel and in the Calvinist chapel - and both were full.

It is shown on Google Street View in 2011 still in use as Frome Gospel Hall, but in January 2014 the Frome Standard local newspaper carried an article headed "Launch of an appeal to save a Frome chapel".  There was a supporting Facebook page.


Reference: http://www.fromestandard.co.uk/Launch-appeal-save-Frome-chapel/story-20440434-detail/story.html accessed January 5th 2015

Primitive Methodist magazine  1835 p.312

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 05/01/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.