Yeovil South Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Yeovil South Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Yeovil South Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Englesea Brook Museum picture and postcard collection

location of former South Street Primitive Methodist chapel, Yeovil

South St, Yeovil BA20 1NN

By Christopher Hill

Primitive Methodism in Yeovil was first established in New Town and they had a preaching room in Silver Street, opposite the Pall Inn. They built the chapel in South Street in 1865 for between £600 and £900. It seated 300 and was of red brick with Ham Hill stone dressing.

It closed on Methodist Union in 1932 and became the glove factory of Ivelnap Gloves Ltd.  After Ivelnap closed the building was empty for several years.  In 1996 it collapsed when it was in the process of being converted into an auction room with an extension containing an Arts Centre and shops.

After this the site was cleared. On Google Street View in June 2015 it is used for car parking.


Reference:

Bob Osborne's Yeovil A to Z website, accessed 24th January 2016

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 24/01/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.