West End Primitive Methodist chapel

Ripon Circuit

The Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account by William Hawcroft of the opening of a Primitive Methodist chapel at West End in the Ripon Circuit.

The new chapel, which was 36′ long, was stone built with Gothic arched windows and a slate roof.  Opening services were held on Whit Sunday 1829 when the preachers were Brother Brining, William Hawcroft and  Brother Cowling.

A gentlemen from Otley helped with setting up a Sunday school and gave them a quantity of books for the purpose.

Where was West End? Is it part of Ripon or another settlement?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1829 page 377

 

Comments about this page

  • A mill village in the Washburn valley, it was in the Pateley Bridge circuit. The society had a chequered career reflecting the prosperity of or otherwise of the local flax mills with the chapel finally closing at the beginning of the twentieth century. 

    The settlement was drowned with the opening of Thruscross reservoir in 1966.

    By Colin Dews (02/03/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone