The 1897 Primitive Methodist magazine tells us that the village of Lingdale was experiencing a growing population and the Primitive Methodist society wanted to take advantage. They had purchased land for a new chapel and intended to get on with the work at once.
They did built the chapel and in 2021 it still stands on High Street in residential use. It still carries it’s inscribed stone – Primitive Methodist Jubilee chapel AD 1897.
Ordnance Survey maps show a second Methodist chapel in Lingdale. on the corner of Scarth Street now the site of Prospect Park. It is shown on the 1893 map so predates the Prim chapel. Was that Wesleyan or another brand?
Primitive Methodist magazine 1897 page 395