Cleator St Primitive Methodist chapel, Dalton-in-Furness

Photo:Cleator Street Primitive ethodist chapel, Dalton-in-Furness

Cleator Street Primitive ethodist chapel, Dalton-in-Furness

Keith Guyler 1995

Photo:2016 photograph - see comment below

2016 photograph - see comment below

G.W. Oxley

Photo:Rear view - see comment below

Rear view - see comment below

G.W. Oxley

Photo:Name banner - see comment below

Name banner - see comment below

G.W. Oxley

Cleator St, Dalton-in-Furness Lancashire LA15 8RU

By Christopher Hill

The Cleator Street chapel was opened by the Primitive Methodists in 1883, replacing their smaller chapel which had opened only fifteen years earlier on Ulverston Road. It was a large place accommodating 650 worshippers.  As Cleator Street Methodist Church, it closed in September 1959.  Keith Guyler's photograph shows it for sale in 1995 before conversion into flats called Wesley Court.

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 19/01/2015.
Comments about this page

Dalton in Furness, Cleator Street PM Chapel, Lancashire

The ancillary buildings at behind the chapel appear truncated as if part has been demolished to provide residents’ parking

This must be one of the most impressive PM Chapels surviving in Cumbria. It was built of grey stone, squared and brought to course. With red sandstone quoins and surrounds to the openings, some of which are quite elaborate. The Two wings at the front, probably housing stairs to the gallery, and the gables above the side walls of the chapel give the whole imposing appearance.. The name banner, on which the words “Primitive”  and “Methodist” and part of date can just be discerned, and the foundation stones were made from a yellow sandstone which had undergone serious weathering. 



Site visit, 23.7.2016

By GW Oxley
On 27/07/2016

Cumbria Archives:

Ref. BDFCDPM/3: Dalton-Furness (Cleator St.) Primitive Methodist Chapel Records, c.1868-1932,1933-1961.

By Raymond E.O.Ella
On 16/07/2018