The return from the Primitive Methodist chapel in Clitheroe to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship was completed by James Cross, who describes himself as “preacher, leader and steward”. He reports that the chapel was opened in 1846 and although not a separate building held 150 people, 55 in free seats.
On Census Sunday 64 people attended in the afternoon and 90 in the evening. There were Sunday schools in the morning (48 scholars) and afternoon (54 scholars).
The 1885 Primitive Methodist magazine contains a note of the opening of a new Primitive Methodist chapel at Clitheroe to replace a smaller older chapel. It cost £2,500, most of which they had paid off.
The Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on the 1912 Ordnance Survey map on Lowergate, at the junction of what was then Wilkin Street and is now Highfield Road. (BB7 1AG). Google identifies it as Clitheroe Mosque, although in 2018 it does not appear to be used.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1885 page 187