Skipton Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Skipton Primitive Methodist Chapel' page

from the collection of Rev Steven Wild

(added by CH 05/17)

There is an account by WL in the 1836 Primitive Methodist magazine of the opening of an earlier Skipton Primitive Methodist chapel than the one in Steve Wild's picture. The opening took place on 26th October 1835 when the preachers were Bros W Clowes, J Hutchinson, J Bywater and W Carthy.

The chapel, which was in the Silsden circuit, measured 33' wide by 56' long and 26' high with galleries at each end and on the front side. There were two cottages built under the end galleries and the cost of land and building was £700.

What happened to these chapels, and where were they?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1836 p.268

 

This page was added by Jill Barber on 17/11/2014.
Comments about this page

Detail of an 1835 chapel have been added.  What happened to both chapels?

By Christopher Hill
On 15/05/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.