The opening of Stamford Bridge Primitive Methodist chapel is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1867.
“Chapel Opening, Stamford Bridge, York Circuit. — This village is beautifully situated on the banks of the Derwent, and is famous in the annals of England as the scene of a very severe struggle in early times for the mastership of our country. For a considerable period Primitive Methodism has bad a place in the village, but its fortunes have been of a somewhat chequered kind, owing principally to the lack of a house of its own in which the ark of God might abide. Twice, at least, have efforts been made to raise money for the purpose of building a chapel, but the whole ended in disappointment and trouble to the society.
Prophets of evil had begun to predict that such a place would never be obtained, and many friends were almost ready to give up hope, when about eighteen months ago the day dawned upon us. A block of cottages, with some portions of land, came into the market, and ultimately the property was purchased by our General Missionary Treasurer, the Lord Mayor of York, entirely for the purpose of securing a site for a chapel. With his accustomed liberality, his lordship presented to the society a very eligible plot in the best situation that the neighbourhood could furnish ; and in October last he laid the foundation stone of the structure which the people had long wished to rear to the name of the Lord.
The trustees and friends set to work in right good earnest to beg, give, and labour, and they have succeeded accordingly. The chapel is a substantial brick building, eleven yards long by ten yards wide, covered with blue slate, beautifully palisaded in front, contains fifteen rising pews to hold six each, is furnished with platform and singers’ pew, will accommodate more than two hundred persons, and is admired by nearly everyone who sees it as a model of neatness and strength.
Great praise is due to Messrs. Walker and Schofield, the builders, who also furnished plans and specifications free of charge, for the manner in which they have executed their contracts.
The opening services were commenced by the writer on March 17th, and continued on the 24th, 25th, and 31st of the same month by the Revs. T. Smith (of Wakefield), J. Mitchell, and J. P. Osborne, circuit ministers. On the 25th, a tea meeting was held in Mr. Richardson’s warehouse, when about 250 persons .partook of the abundant provision which our warm hearted ladies had set before them. A public meeting was held in the evening, over which Captain M’Culloch presided. The congregation was large and enthusiastic, and the speeches every way worthy of the occasion.
The cost of the undertaking, including value of land, leadings, labour, amount of contract, and legal and other expenses, will be about £265 ; with gift of site, labour, lead ings, donations, profits of tea meetings, collections, etc., we have realised about £145 ; we have about £10 more to come in ; so that when the matter is wound up we shall have, we hope, no more than £110 remaining as a trust debt. We should like soon to pay off the odd £10, and thus have no incumbrance but the £100, which we have borrowed on notes at four per cent.
Since the opening services closed we have let nearly all the sittings : and, better than all the rest, have had a few souls converted to God. May this be but the earnest of a great and glorious spiritual rain, and may heaven be the final portion of all who have helped in this “good work.” Thos. Newell.”
In 2018 on StreetView it is in use as a store.
The 1828 Wesleyan chapel further along the road is still in use.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1867 page 369-370