Skirlaugh Primitive Methodist chapel
Church Ln, Skirlaugh, HU11 5EU
The foundation stone for Skirlaugh Primitive Methodist chapel was laid by Mr W Hodge of Hull in 1859. The occasion is described in the Primitive Methodist magazine of August 1859 by D Ingham.
The ceremony took place on 10th June 1869 and celebrations included services and a tea. Speakers included Rev T Ratcliffe, Mr Gtreenbury (Hull), E Morris, J Gibson and CT Harris. Donors -in what seemed to start off as a competitive donation competition with the layer of the stone placing his donation upon it and challenging others to do likewise – included W Hodge, Mr Radclife, H Hodge, Mr Naisby, R Lyon, JW Garton and gifts in memory of W Taylor.
The opening from 18th September 1859 is described four months later by W Lonsdale. The speakers included W Garner, Thomas Ratcliffe (who gave £25), W Lonsdale, W Southwick. H Barr (who supervised the work) and J Sutcliffe. Opening events included a public tea.
The new chapel seated 110, with a boarded floor and spare land fenced in. It cost £ 132, of which £70 was to be borrowed at 4%.
A Primitive Methodist chapel is marked on Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 maps from 1891 and 1927; by 1975 it has disappeared and on Google Street View in 2010 it is occupied by a garage.
Primitive Methodist magazine August 1859 pages 502-503.
Primitive Methodist magazine December 1859 page 741.