Stanningley Primitive Methodist chapel
Leeds & Bradford Road Stanningley PUDSEY LS28 6LS
Laying the foundation stone of Stanningley Primitive Methodist chapel is described in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1864.
A Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on 1893 Ordnance Survey maps on the south-western corner of the junction of Britannia Street and Leeds and Bradford Road. Was this the chapel in the description? The building is still in use as a church
This is the account:
“Foundation Laying at Stanningley. —On Good Friday the foundation-stone of a new chapel was laid at Stanningley, in the Bradford Circuit, by Benjamin Waite, Esq., of Farsley. The day was fine, and large numbers attended to witness the interesting ceremony. When the stone had been laid, a brief but eloquent address was delivered by the Rev. C. Smith, of Barnsley.
Afterwards a numerously attended tea-meeting was held in the adjoining school-room, which in the evening was followed by a public meeting, addressed in intelligent and animating strains by ministers and members of various denominations. L Gaunt, Esq., occupied the chair. The proceeds of the day amounted to about £12, exclusive of £20 promised by Mr. Waite, to whom a neat and beautiful silver trowel and rosewood mallet were presented May this sanctuary become the spiritual birth place of many souls. R. Smith.”
Soon after it opened, the chapel was repainted.
“Stanningley.—This chapel an school have also been painted, etc., and made about the most comfortable and attractive in the neighbourhood. The friends have all ” done well .” The re-opening sermons were preached on February 17th, and 24th, 1867, by the Revs. J. Harvey, J. Blades, and T. Dearlove, and Mr. Kershaw (Wesleyan). The expenditure is £57 12s. 7id., and the income £62 2s. 4Ad. Praise the Lord ! T. Dearlove.”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1864 page 370
Primitive Methodist magazine 1867 pages 313